The biggest auto race of the year in the State of Nebraska is coming to I-80 Speedway near Greenwood next Friday and Saturday, July 17-18. The best dirt late model and modified drivers in the country will be on hand racing for a purse of over $185,000. The event attracts fans from across American and beyond.
The event is a crown jewel event of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series which will be co-sanctioning the late model portion with the Lucas Oil MLRA. The modified portion of the program is sanctioned by the United States Model Touring Series (USMTS).
Rodney Sanders of Happy, Texas, has won both USMTS features in each of the last two years to dominate the Silver Dollar Nationals action. Terry Phillips and Jason Hughes won in 2012 while Kelly Shryock and Jeremy Payne were the winners during the inaugural event in 2011.
Action gets underway on Thursday night with open practice for the Lucas Oil Late Models and the USMTS Modifieds as well as a complete racing program for the MalvernBank.com SLMR Super Late Models, Nebraska 360 Sprints and B-Mods.
Friday’s action concludes with a new event featuring a race with three six-lap segments and on Saturday night the non-qualifiers will be racing in the Belt Bash for $3,000 to win and $300 to start.
The two-night affair will be the final two events in the MSD Central Region presented by Day Motor Sports. Sanders is the current points leader with Cade Dillard, Grant Junghans, Ryan Gustin and Jesse Sobbing completing the top five.
MSD CENTRAL POINTS STANDINGS:
1. 20 Rodney Sanders, Happy, Texas … 538 (1 win)
2. 97 Cade Dillard, Robeline, La. … 491 (1 win)
3. 2 Grant Junghans, Manhattan, Kan. … 451
4. 19r Ryan Gustin, Marshalltown, Iowa … 436 (1 win)
5. 99 Jesse Sobbing, Malvern, Iowa … 435 (1 win)
6. 2 Casey Arneson, Fargo, N.D. … 408
7. 4r Dereck Ramirez, Woodward, Okla. … 407
8. 2s Stormy Scott, Las Cruces, N.M. … 406 (1 win)
9. 33z Zack VanderBeek, New Sharon, Iowa … 384
10. 3 Kelly Shryock, Fertile, Iowa … 366
11. 40 Brian Green, Pierce City, Mo. … 325
12. 1st Johnny Scott, Las Cruces, N.M. … 312
13. 12 Jason Hughes, Watts, Okla. … 309
14. 95 Keith Foss, Winona, Minn. … 300
15. 75 Terry Phillips, Springfield, Mo. … 279 (1 win)
The top 15 in the final regional points, along with any other drivers achieving perfect attendance in the MSD Central Region, will punch their ticket to compete for the USMTS National Championship in the Hunt for the USMTS Casey’s Cup powered by S&S Fishing & Rental.
I-80 Speedway is located one block north of Interstate 80 Exit 420, halfway between Omaha and Lincoln. The Physical Address is 13909 238th St. in Greenwood, Neb. For more information, visit www.i-80speedway.com or call 402-342-3453. Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter.