On Friday, December 15, 2017, the Ottumwa Police Department received several reports of unattended vehicles that had been rummaged through and items stolen from the vehicles. The crimes occurred in the area of Pennsylvania Place and the 1000 Block of East Pennsylvania. In total, 11 separate victims were identified as having property stolen from their vehicles.
The police department received a tip from a citizen that assisted police in the investigation of these car burglaries. The citizen tip ultimately led to the recovery of much of the stolen property. As a result of the investigation, the following persons have been charged:
Bridget Mary Logas, age 47, Ottumwa was arrested and charged with the following:
- Using a Juvenile to Commit Certain Offenses, a Class “C” Felony
- Aiding and Abetting Burglary 3rd (Theft from auto), 6 counts, all Aggravated Misdemeanors
- Aiding and Abetting Burglary 3rd , a Class “D” Felony
- Aiding and Abetting Theft 2nd Degree, a Class “D” Felony
Elijah Deshoun Sanders, age 17, Davenport, IA, was charged with the following:
- Burglary in the 3rd Degree (Theft from auto), 10 Counts, all Aggravated Misdemeanors
- Burglary in the 3rd Degree, a Class “D” Felony
- Theft in the 2nd Degree, a Class “D” Felony
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia, a Simple Misdemeanor
Sanders was also arrested on an outstanding arrested warrant out of Davenport for Robbery Second Degree.
Please note the following pursuant to recent Supreme Court rulings: “A criminal charge is merely an accusation and a defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty.”