(Ottumwa, Iowa) – The third Monday of each February is a time to remember past presidents and, for some government employees, a day to enjoy off work. It is also when George Washington’s birthday is celebrated by many throughout the nation, although he was born on Feb. 22, 1732. According to a news release sent to KMZN by the City of Ottumwa, a number of offices and services will affected by the holiday on Feb. 19:
- Offices at Ottumwa’s City Hall and the Ottumwa Public Works Central Garage will be closed.
- The Ottumwa, Calvary and Jewish Cemetery office at 1302 N. Court will be closed.
- The Ottumwa Police Department Records Desk will be closed.
- Both the Ottumwa/ Wapello Landfill and the Recycling Center will be closed.
- City residential trash and recycling normally collected on Monday, Feb. 19 will be picked up Tuesday, Feb. 20. Bulky items normally collected on Tuesdays will be picked up on Thursday, Feb. 22. There is no change for the customers of the City’s rural residential trash and recycling collection. Bridge City Sanitation offices will be closed for the holiday on Monday.
- The Ottumwa Public Library will be closed.
- Ottumwa Transit buses will not be operating. The Ottumwa Transit office will be closed as well.
- Ottumwa Water and Hydro Offices at 230 Turner Drive will be closed.
- The Beach Ottumwa will be open 5:15 AM to noon for lap swim and regular programs.
- Courts will not be in session.
- The United States Postal Service will not deliver mail on Presidents Day, but UPS and FedEx will operate as usual.
- Most banks will be closed. For information about a particular bank, contact them directly.
- The New York Stock Exchange, Nasdaq and bond markets will be closed.