IOWA CITY, Iowa (AP) — An autopsy has determined that former NFL and Iowa football player Tyler Sash died from an accidental overdose involving two pain medications.
The Iowa state medical examiner’s office said Tuesday that a recent shoulder dislocation and a history of chronic shoulder pain were “significant conditions” in the 27-year-old’s death.
Additional studies will look at whether Sash suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a brain disease caused by repetitive trauma that has been found in former NFL players. The results will be available in several months.
Sash was found dead in his Oskaloosa, Iowa home Sept. 8. The autopsy determined the death was from an “accidental mixed drug toxicity involving methadone and hydrocordone.”
Sash was a standout safety at Iowa and won a Super Bowl with the New York Giants in 2012.